Facts About Innerspring Mattresses
An innerspring mattress is made with a steel coil innerspring support system, with various foams and fibers on top to provide comfort at the surface.
Spring mattresses are the top selling sleep systems worldwide. But why are they so popular? Their spring-based sleeping system is due to its ability to adapt to body contours and maintain correct spinal position while we sleep. Spring Mattresses are increasingly being preferred over Coir Mattresses and Foam mattresses.
Different types of Spring Mattresses:
Though collectively classified as "Spring Mattresses" there are numerous construction methods which can be used to make one. Among all varieties, "Pocketed Spring" is the most popular type of them all.
These mattresses consist of 3 layers:
- The core - entirely springs made from different materials, having various grades of thickness.
The foundation - usually wool that sustains the spring layer and makes the main structure.
Upholstery - so called the “comfort layer”, made of foam or fibers, is the layer we usually feel and the one by which we judge if the mattress is hard or soft.
We compiled some of the top advantages of innerspring mattresses as well as some potential drawbacks for your consideration.
- Cheaper than any other type of mattress, because they have developed a lot during time and so the prices kept on falling according to the increase of the people using them.
- Long lifetime. Spring mattresses are properly constructed to offer the same comfort for years together. They keep their shape for a long time and hardly get deteriorated
- Developed technology during time. We might say that spring mattresses have been used since our parents were little. The great part is that, during time, their comfort kept growing and coil types and eco-friendly products have been created, being the best response to pressure zones.
Better aired because the spaces between springs that allow easy ventilation of our body heat unlike some other types of mattresses, especially memory foam.
- Heavy. Due to their structure, they might be really heavy and hard to move, making the cleaning part to seem uncomfortable if you want to air them outside or turn them in your bed.
- Not agreeing humidity/ acid environments for their springs. Coil material gets deteriorated and might start to absorb bad odors and loose its sustainability.
- Perfect place for dust mites. Because of their structure with all their underlying layers made of wool and fiber, the probability of those allergens finding their way to them is very high, because innerspring mattresses provide the perfect environment for them and they can develop without being disturbed. Cleaning, on this particular type of mattress, is extremely important.
Movements are distributed through the whole surface, meaning that if you sleep with a partner, you will feel each one of his movements. Also, they tend to not support the weight equally so, it might appear some pressure points on their surface that might cause pain.
You should revise all these facts and decide which your overall opinion on innerspring mattresses is. Don’t take them out of the race because of their disadvantages for innerspring is the most popular mattress there is when it comes to quality and comfort for a good price, and there has to be a reason for that. Their firmness might not bother you therefore you will get many years of comfortable sleep before any real problems will start to occur because of their durability. All in all, check it out! You might like it!